After putting it off for months, the ironing board finally got a new cover! It was so quick & easy, I don't know why I spent so long thinking about doing it! I probably could have done hundreds, in the time I spent debating how to tackle it. 1/2 metre of cotton fabric, some leftover cotton wadding, bias binding & piping cord (easier to pull the gathers, than that cut-into-your-hands nylon cord!) So simply, here's how to do it:
Put your ironing board upside down on the wadding & draw round it, allowing 1/2" allowance, for the edges of the board.
Use the wadding as a pattern for the fabric and add an inch allowance all round.
Sew double fold bias binding on the right side of the fabric, all around the edge of the cover. Starting/finishing at the short straight end of the cover.
Press the bias to the wrong side of the fabric & stitch along the edge of the binding. This will form a casing, around the wrong side of the cover.
Thread the piping cord, through the casing using a nappy/safety pin.
Place the wadding on top of your ironing board, then lay the cover over it, right side up.
Pull the cord gently, gathering the fabric under the board. Once it's in place, pull really tightly and tie the cord ends together. Job done!!
Another interesting mix has arrived in the shop! India inspired cotton prints, a Missoni influenced viscose, cutout jersey & a soft metallic pleat. I just can't decide what fabric to start on first...!
Hopefully, they should all be up on the website very soon. (Will get the photographer on the case tomorrow!)
Well, the trip to the London Textile Fair was worth it! These gorgeous fabrics arrived from Italy this morning!! A mixture of fibres - cotton, linen, viscose & polyester. They all have beautiful drape & I can't wait to get my scissors to them!!!